Compassion

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything

I was trying to think of something I could do in keeping with Halloween coming up in a few days, but since I'm not the hugest fan of Halloween (at least not the satanic, celebrating fear side of it) I was having a pretty hard time thinking of a Halloween book I actually liked. The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything still isn't completely innocent - and if your child scares easily, I wouldn't recommend it. BUT, the repetition and the movement throughout the book makes it a lot of fun to read with toddlers through early elementary. (My oldest is in 1st grade so that's really as far as I can say for now.) My daughters love to do the different motions (wiggle wiggle, clomp clomp, shake shake - and of course, their favorite BOO BOO!) and I love that they can "read" along with me even at an early age, since it's so repetitious. I also just recently found a sequencing activity to go along with this book that you can very easily do at home! It is one of the very few activities I have found online, liked and then carried through and did at home. I feel like I find numerous activities to do with my kids and think, "Cool, I should do that!" but rarely find time to even gather the necessary materials. This activity was so simple, I couldn't pass it up. (It's just a right-click, save & print away, especially since we already had the book.) And, since printing it out, my 2 year old LOVES this book and asks to read it quite often. We now keep an envelope with the activity inside the book. That said, I love I Can Teach My Child (the site where I got the activity, if you haven't clicked the link yet) and definitely recommend it to anyone looking for things to do at home with their young children.

OVERALL RATING: LIKE IT! (but with the activity ... LOVE!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...