Compassion

Friday, April 20, 2012

Grocery Day

Friday is grocery shopping day in our household.  I try to spread it out over the week if I happen to be near a store, etc., but usually do most of it in one day.  For the past couple of months, I've been trying to cut our budget down more and more to see how little I could spend while still getting everything we need.  Originally, our budget was $75/week but I'm happy to say we've gotten it down to $50/week for the past month or two and have been doing very well, not because we've just been eating out more.  Actually, we've been eating out less!  The funny thing is, I rarely use coupons.  This week I happened to use the most I have in a very long time (9).  But most weeks, I honestly don't use any, maybe 1-2.  The trick?  Mostly, Aldi.  But here's the breakdown for this week's groceries if it helps.

Walgreens:  2 bottles Kids Aquafresh toothpaste - 18 cents each with 1 Walgreens and 1 manufacturer coupon per bottle.
Total:  $0.36

Dominicks:  18 ct large eggs on clearance - $1.49
                   2 8-ct. Go-Gurt - $1.495 (?) each after Just for U savings &  manufacturer coupon - $3.01
                   2 loaves Nancy Martin bread - 59 cents each after Just for U savings
                   1 bunch of green bananas - 0.49/lb - $1.13
Total: $6.98

Jewel:  2 bottles Kens salad dressing - 50 cents each after 1 Jewel & 1 manufacturer coupon
Total:  $1.02

Fresh Farms:1 box mochiko flour - $1.99
                      1 lemon - 0.98/lb - $0.32
                      2.04 lb organic gala apples (about 6) - 1.79/lb - $3.65
                      3 lbs chicken leg quarters - $3.05
                      1 dozen extra lg eggs - $0.99
                      1/2 lb salami - $2.07
                      1/2 lb bologna - $1.59
Total:  $13.97

Aldi:  1 bag romaine hearts - $1.59
         1 bottle cran/raspberry juice - $1.49
         3 green peppers - $0.99
         1 lb strawberries - $0.99
         1 lb. bacon - $2.79
         1 bag potato chips - $1.49
         1 apple juice concentrate - $0.92
         1 grape juice concentrate - $1.49
         1 lb baby carrots - $0.49 on clearance
         brown sugar - $1.49
         1 sm bag flour - $1.69
         4 lbs. navel oranges (6 in a bag) - $2.69
Total:  $18.61

Grand Total:   $40.94

I had an extra $10-11 from last week so I used that with what I saved this week to get 2 200-ct bottles of fish oil from Walgreens with 2 coupons and a BOGO sale for $20 and some change.  Just as we were running out.  God is truly the perfect provider - something He's shown me again and again in our grocery budgeting adventures.

This is by far the most coupons (and most stores) I've used in a long time.  I'll try to post again next week to prove it. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love ALDI!!!! I miss it so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! they need to open up on the west coast.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...