Compassion

Friday, May 27, 2011

Frugal Friday: Update!


Last week I posted that A & I had ventured into making our own homemade laundry detergent using the Duggar family recipe (see original post here).

After 1 week and 5 loads of use, I have to say that I am very happy with the results. Our clothes, towels and sheets are all clean and relatively soft - I honestly do not notice any difference.* I do give the bottle a good shake prior to each use, but I like the fact that I can just shake a bottle and not have to stir the huge bucket every time. So, if you do want to try this - I'd suggest saving an old detergent bottle and filling it up as you go.

The biggest test was mid-week when L ate a blue Airhead and then proceeded to suck on her mimi (WHITE blankie), making it all blue and sticky. Well, I threw it in with a load of sheets/towels and it came out as good as new! Or at least, as clean as it was before. They are looking a little on the dingy side because they are 1)white and 2)very much loved. ;)

*I do feel the need to note that growing up, my mom used very little softener because of her and my skin allergies, so I am not used to the "laundry smell" as most people are. To me, clothes smell clean when they have no smell or very little. On top of this, I started using dryer balls years ago to save money on softener and because I found they worked well enough for our family. That being said, if you are coming from normal fabric softener use, you probably will notice a difference in your laundering results ... but I do not. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...